Saturday, December 26, 2009

Place-Names And Naming NPCs



Here's something I try to do with the Place-Names in Elthos. I try to give names some meaning. Not over the top heavy handed meaning, but I like names that mean something. So if I'm looking for a name of a forested village on the side of a mountain where there is a nearby stream I'll do a little research and see if I can come up with a name that the locals who created the town might have thought of.

I'll use a website like Krysstal. It provides a whole bunch of name meanings categorized in a variety of ways, such as Place-Names, Surnames and explains a bit about where names come from. It's a pretty good resource.

So my forest town name is "Combederry", which means an oak wood and deep valley.

I like these sorts of names over what I might just randomly come up with because it gives my world a greater sense of being a little bit more real that a mere wisp of my imagination. Though of course, that's what it is, really. :)

Any additional resources for this sort of thing would be greatly appreciated.
Post a Comment